Visitors to Mt Maunganui’s base track are being urged to be mindful of the conditions.
This follows the incident in which a freak wave swept young Jack Dixon out to sea on Wednesday.
A search has so far failed to find any sign of the five-year-old.
While the search has now been scaled back Inspector Karl Wright-St Clair says they will be continuing to reassess this on a daily basis, with a focus on bringing Jack home if conditions allow.
He says anyone using the track needs to be careful.
– Newstalk ZB
– Photo: Georgia Nelson