* Nelson has been hit hard by heavy rain and a few thunderstorms over the last 24-36 hours which has resulted in a few areas of surface flooding and road closures however most roads have now reopened in the region.
* Thunderstorms rattled a few areas of the upper north overnight however there has been marked decrease this morning but still the chance remains of further heavy showers and downpours with thunder over the next 36 hours.
* Auckland has seen some heavy showery activity this morning however winds eased earlier but may pick up this afternoon with the risk of few heavy showers remaining.
* Cantabrians have had areas of fog this morning which have kept the temperatures low so far today and some rain could move in over Mid and North Canterbury this afternoon.
* Temperatures have remained very low across much of the South Island this morning with Christchurch and Timaru just managing five degrees at midday, Lumsden zero and Gore and Oamaru struggling to creep up to one soliatry degree plus Wanaka and Queenstown has stalled at just two degrees.
* A majority of the rain is from Taranaki to Nelson and Marlborough at midday but other showery falls across Auckland and further south in Westport are also being reported.
Image of a swollen Maitai River, Nelson