NEW FEATURE: A low is crossing New Zealand and is bringing heavy downpours, isolated thunder and strong winds gusting over gale force at times.
The system is with us for another day or so, before clearing by Tuesday.
In our new official partnership with IBM/The Weather Company we’re proud to bring you the Weather Highlights for Sunday/Monday across New Zealand:
- Strong cold southwesterlies will dominate western coastal parts of the South Island as the low passes through the North Island during Sunday night.
- Gusty winds for the upper North Island with heavy passing downpours.
- Several hours of cold showers will occur in Southland, West Coast, Tasman and Nelson.
- The amount of rain will be moderate and thunderstorms are not likely to occur on the West Coast, but are possible in isolated areas of the upper North Island – but mostly out at sea.
- In the South Island highlands (approximately over 600m), snow or ice may mix in with the rain. In higher mountainous regions some snow accumulation is expected on Sunday night but should not be a concern for most.
– Images: The Weather Company/IBM