Tsunami sirens were set off and soldiers and officials in northeastern Japan were warning residents that the area could be hit by another tsunami and ordered residents to higher ground a short time ago.
Sirens around the town of Soma went off late his morning Japan time and public address systems ordered residents to higher ground.
Kyodo News Agency said the tsunami could be 3 metres high, citing Fukushima prefectural officials.
However in the past 30 minutes the Japanese Meteorological Agency says there is “no tsunami” as a result of an earthquake which happened in the past hour.
All tsunami warnings are now cancelled.
Voice of America reporter Steve Herman, who is in Sendai, tweeted this message just before. “Alarm over new tsunami as media relayed reports of incoming wave, including from gov’t minister tasked with disasters”.
It is still unclear if there is a large wave in the area.
Meanwhile, nuclear officials have confirmed a hydrogen explosion has occurred at Unit 3 of Japan’s stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, similar to an earlier one at a different unit in the facility.
A massive column of smoke was seen belching from the plant’s No. 3 unit today. The reactor had been under emergency watch for a possible explosion as pressure built up there following a hydrogen blast Saturday in the facility’s Unit 1.
Officials have been racing stave off multiple reactor meltdowns after a devastating quake and tsunami incapacitated the Fukushima plant.
More than 180,000 people have evacuated the area, and up to 160 may have been exposed to radiation.
– NZHerald.co.nz with WeatherWatch.co.nz