Between the hours of 9am and 12noon you’ll hear Martin Devlin on the Devlin Radio Show, on Radio Sport. You’ll also find Martin’s active on Twitter (twitter.com/DevlinLive), where he’s lively, interactive and truly enjoys bantering with his listeners and followers.
So we decided to ask him 10 random questions about weather, climate and life, as he’s always shown support towards us.
A passionate broadcaster, a loving Father and a fiercely funny human being – thanks for taking the time to reply to our ‘Friends of WeatherWatch’ 10 questions!
More info on The Devlin Radio Show can be found here
1) Where did you grow up and what’s your memory of the weather/climate back then and there?
Grew up mostly in Upper Hutt, climate was V8s, Monaro’s, Hemi’s, HK’s & HQ’s. Weather was damn frosty for a skinny legged kid walking 5 miles to school every day standing in cowpats to keep his feet warm…
2) Favourite sport to play and best weather for it?
Favourite sport couch rugby, any weather, any pitch, preferably closed stadium! Otherwise football, so easy, so simple, you and however many others, jerseys for goals, roaming ‘keeper’…
3) What sport do you think is most impacted by changeable weather and why?
Test rugby in July seems to throw up an absolute fright every other year – except in Dunedin where someone came up with the brilliant idea of a roof.
4) What’s the most memorable weather event you can recall that affected a big sporting event?
The 1975 ‘water polo” test, Abs vs Scotland, Eden Park. 1st test I ever saw, still wondering what sport it was.
5) You work in Auckland – where’s a good place in New Zealand to escape to when you need to get away from it all?
Awhitu Peninsula, less than 90mins from downtown, paradise still largely undiscovered.
6) What’s the most interesting weather you’ve experienced overseas?
Heatwave in New York, 45 deg in Manhatten, wandering around tipping water onto the head was normal, everyone doing it, you essentially stagger from one air-con doorway to the next.
7) What do you like most about WeatherWatch?
I like everything about WeatherWatch, particularly the fact it’s a site that watches weather.
8) You’re fun to follow on Twitter – what do you love most about interacting with people on social media?
The immediacy of banter & comment during games, like sitting watching on a couch of 1000s.
9) Are you enjoying winter this year?
Winter in Auckland lasts about a day and a half. Seriously, this ain’t cold.
10) Share some wise words for people who want to be successful in life:
Tell your children you love ’em and spend as many precious minutes as often as possible because you blink and it’s gone.
– WeatherWatch.co.nz exclusive