Your web browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date. Some things will not look right and things might not work properly. Please download an up-to-date and free browser from here.

Canterbury clouds create downpours today

As forecast yesterday downpours are today affecting parts of Canterbury, with some farmers especially happy to receive the pre-Christmas gift.

Fifth generation farmer @AlBundyNZ from Waimate, Canterbury tweeted this afternoon “ feeling good down here at present. 36 mm rain in last 24hr. Still odd shower going through. “.

Over in Kumara, on the West Coast, they can see the big clouds building over towards Canterbury.  

View the Canterbury rain radar here (via MetService)

Canterbury Rain radar as of 2:15pm shows areas with big downpours and possible hail and thunder (red spots) forecasters say heavy downpours with hail and thunder are likely this afternoon across Canterbury – hit and miss, as we saw on Sunday.  The downpours will bring relief to many farmers and growers, but not all will get them.  Also, the hail in some could be intense enough to cause some issues.  It’s all down to the luck of the draw when it comes to where the worst spots will bubble up.  For the most part, the downpours will be seen as a big positive across the year-long drought-hit region.

(A WeatherWatch forecast product) says a few showers are likely again overnight (70% chance), this weekend (30% chance), and once more next Tuesday and Wednesday (40% chance).





Related Articles