Your web browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date. Some things will not look right and things might not work properly. Please download an up-to-date and free browser from here.

Your updated New Year’s Eve forecast

UPDATED:  5:00pm, 29th December
New Year’s Eve is still looking pretty good for the North Island and the eastern South Island.  The forecast hasn’t changed much in the last 24 hours.  The front that will bring wind and rain to the North Island tomorrow should be clearing the island early Monday morning (New Year’s Eve), leaving sunshine in its wake.  Dry and settled conditions are then expected to remain in place right into New Year’s Day.
Over the South Island, a north-westerly airflow is still expected to bring to the West Coast and dry weather with high clouds to the east.
Northland, Auckland, Waikato, Central North Island and BOP
A few morning showers possible especially about eastern Bay Of Plenty then clearing.  Otherwise, expect a mostly sunny day with a few clouds. Winds a bit breezy from the west or southwest, especially on western coastlines. Cloud may thicken a little overnight in the west.
Highs: 23-25
20-50% chance of precipitation before noon
East of the North Island
Morning showers and clouds will give way to clearing skies by afternoon about Gisborne and East Cape.  Hawke’s Bay should clear before sunrise.  Dry and settled weather is expected across the region from the afternoon into Tuesday morning.  Winds will be tending west to southwest then easing in the afternoon. Later in the evening some high cloud develops.
Highs: 22-25
60%-80% chance of precipitation about East Cape/Gisborne before 10am, 20%-40% elsewhere
10-20% chance of precipitation region-wide from late morning into Tuesday
Western North Island
A mix of clouds and sun during the day with increasing clouds toward sunset.  Brisk westerly breezes.
Highs: 21-22
10% chance of precipitation
Nelson & Wellington
Sunny areas and increasing cloud, northwesterlies pick up during the day gusting to gale force from afternoon about Wellington. A few spots of rain possible later overnight.
Highs: 20-23
(20% chance of precipitation)
Canterbury & Marlborough
Sunny weather with thickening high cloud, northwesterlies pick up from morning strong at times from evening.  A few spots of rain possible at night.
Highs: 23-25
(10% chance of precipitation)
West Coast
Rain with breezy westerlies.  Heavy falls with thunderstorms possible at times, mainly overnight.
Highs: 18-19
(70% chance of precipitation)
Southland & Otago
Dry weather with thick high clouds and brisk west to northwest winds.  Showers moves into Southland during the overnight.  Central and southern Otago could also see showers as 2012 turns into 2013.
Highs: 20-23
(40-50% chance of precipitation)


Related Articles