SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING until 3:22pm
This warning affects people in the following local government areas:
TARARUA, PALMERSTON NORTH CITY and MANAWATU.
At 02:22 pm, MetService weather radar detected severe thunderstorms near PALMERSTON NORTH, FEILDING, THE MANAWATU GORGE and ASHHURST.
These severe thunderstorms are moving towards the southsoutheast, and are expected to lie near PAHIATUA and THE MANAWATU GORGE at 02:52 pm and near PAHIATUA and MANGAMAIRE at 03:22 pm.
These thunderstorms are expected to be accompanied by very heavy rain.
Very heavy rain can cause surface and/or flash flooding about streams, gullies and urban areas, and make driving conditions extremely hazardous.
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch remains in force for BULLER, CANTERBURY HIGH COUNTRY, HAWKES BAY, KAPITI-HOROWHENUA, MANAWATU, MARLBOROUGH, NELSON, TAIHAPE, TARANAKI, TARARUA, WAIRARAPA, WANGANUI and WELLINGTON.
The Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management advises that as storms approach you should:
– Take shelter, preferably indoors away from windows;
– Avoid sheltering under trees, if outside;
– Move cars under cover or away from trees;
– Secure any loose objects around your property;
– Check that drains and gutters are clear;
– Be ready to slow down or stop, if driving.
During and after the storm, you should also:
– Beware of fallen trees and power lines;
– Avoid streams and drains as you may be swept away in flash flooding.
This warning is due to be updated or lifted by 03:22 pm Tuesday 25 December 2012.