At 03:07 pm, MetService weather radar detected severe thunderstorms near FEATHERSTON, GREYTOWN and TAUHERENIKAU.
These severe thunderstorms are moving towards the southsoutheast, and are expected to lie near FEATHERSTON, GREYTOWN and TAUHERENIKAU at 03:37 pm and near FEATHERSTON, MARTINBOROUGH, GREYTOWN and TAUHERENIKAU at 04:07 pm.
These thunderstorms are expected to be accompanied by very heavy rain and large hail.
Very heavy rain can cause surface and/or flash flooding about streams, gullies and urban areas, and make driving conditions extremely hazardous.
Large hail can cause significant damage to crops, orchards, vines, glasshouses and vehicles, and make driving conditions hazardous.
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch remains in force for BULLER, CANTERBURY HIGH COUNTRY, HAWKES BAY, KAPITI-HOROWHENUA, MANAWATU, MARLBOROUGH, NELSON, TAIHAPE, TARANAKI, TARARUA, WAIRARAPA, WANGANUI and WELLINGTON.
The Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management advises that as storms approach you should:
– Take shelter, preferably indoors away from windows;
– Avoid sheltering under trees, if outside;
– Move cars under cover or away from trees;
– Secure any loose objects around your property;
– Check that drains and gutters are clear;
– Be ready to slow down or stop, if driving.
During and after the storm, you should also:
– Beware of fallen trees and power lines;
– Avoid streams and drains as you may be swept away in flash flooding.