This weekend we interview Sir Peter Leitch, also known as the Mad Butcher, in our new June segment: Friends of WeatherWatch.
We’ve known Sir Peter for almost 15 years through NewstalkZB and he has also been incredibly supportive of what we do here at WeatherWatch. A big personality, a big heart – and the biggest Warriors fan to walk this earth.
We loved interviewing the Mad Butcher and asking him 10 fun questions – we hope you enjoy his answers!
Next Week: GeoNet’s Sara Page
1) Where did you grow up and what was the weather like?
Wellington. The weather was very windy and when I say â€œwindyâ€ i mean it used to always blow gales. I remember times when the gusts literally blew the elderly across the road. Winds were so strong there were times we couldnâ€™t even open the door in the milk truck I worked on, we had to hop out the other side.
2) What is your favourite season and why?
I love winter coz itâ€™s rugby league time mate!
3) Speaking of the Vodafone Warriors, what are the ideal weather conditions for Warriors victory?
A clear, fine, sunny day.
4) What weather do you hate?
I hate the humidity of Auckland, itâ€™s so uncomfortable mate. I can handle summer, I can handle winter but all I can say is “thank god for air conditioningâ€
5) What part of New Zealand has the best climate in your view?
No question about it – Waiheke Island. Always a bit warmer [than Auckland] and itâ€™s entirely surrounded by the sea – which we find more comforting. A great place for kayaking.
6) Obviously youâ€™re a fan of BBQ weather – so whatâ€™s the ideal BBQ weather?
Let me flip the question around and tell you what the worst BBQ weather is – windy weather. Wind makes the heat uneven on the plate. But if it’s strong you may not know if the gas flame as gone out – so not ideal or safe. The wind is the worst – itâ€™s a curse.
7) Do you like thunderstorms?
Take â€˜em or leave â€˜em mate. You just sit inside and enjoy the fireworks – thereâ€™s nothing you can do about it. I can tell you the best thunderstorms Iâ€™ve ever seen was in Cuba several years ago. Real lightning strikes like youâ€™d never experience in New Zealand!
8) Youâ€™re a tough guy – but there must be some weather that you run from?
Not really. When I go out kayaking I love it when waves and winds pick up – itâ€™s more of an adventure, a challenge – you have to push harder. I take the weather as it comes. If itâ€™s hot I wear shorts, if itâ€™s cold I put on a jacket. I roll with the weather.
9) When you were a kid, did you love running around barefoot on frosty mornings?
No, I never played sport as a young kid – plus our place was all concrete in the back and it was too cold. To be fair Iâ€™ve never actually been a barefoot kinda person.
10) Is there any weather that could stop you from attending a Warriors final?
Actually I just experienced weather that stopped the ANZAC test in Brisbane. While it didnâ€™t stop me from attending, the game had to be called off because the paying fans couldnâ€™t actually get to the stadium because of major flooding. But as for me – No, no weather would ever push me away.
– Image / NewstalkZB
– WeatherWatch.co.nz Exclusive