Your web browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date. Some things will not look right and things might not work properly. Please download an up-to-date and free browser from here.

Dog illnesses spark fresh alert

Health authorities have renewed warnings to take care on Auckland beaches after three more dogs became seriously ill with symptoms of tetrodotoxin poisoning. says with a weekend of easterlies on the way may deliver more toxic sea slugs along the eastern beaches.

One dog was sick after walking on Narrow Neck beach and another two became sick after walking on Takapuna beach, with what authorities believe to be the same toxin that killed five dogs and made at least 10 others ill.

The toxin, found in vomit from one of the dead dogs, is known as TTX and was traced to sea slugs found on Cheltenham and Narrow Neck beaches in Devonport.

Auckland Regional Public Health Service has advised emergency doctors that the TTX found in one small slug on Narrow Neck beach could if eaten be enough to kill a dog or a child.

After a week of sunny weather, public health spokeswoman Sally Young said the illnesses were a reminder to keep a close eye on dogs and children and not let them eat anything on the beach.

“If you go back to the beach please, please keep children and pets under close supervision,” she said.

Read the full article here.




Related Articles