The Earthquake Commission will treat yesterday’s aftershocks in Canterbury as an all new event for claims, reports NewstalkZB.
So far 171,000 claims have been lodged by locals over the past few months.
EQC chief executive Ian Simpson says damage from Thursday’s quakes, which included one measuring 5.1, has so far been relatively minor with just cracking of interior and exterior walls.
As of Thursday afternoon he said so far he had received more than 50 claims from the day’s damage.
Mr Simpson says the EQC will be treating Thursday’s after shocks as a completely new event for insurance purposes.