Your web browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date. Some things will not look right and things might not work properly. Please download an up-to-date and free browser from here.
The front currently piling into the lower South Island has caused quite a few thunderstorms in the Queenstown area this afternoon, and with these storms has come a lot of rain.
• Routeburn Road is ok, drive with care.
• Greenstone is ok, but fords are running quite high and might cause issues later.
• Kinloch – River at Glacier Burn Bridge running extremely high (to be reviewed).
• Glenorchy – Paradise Road – Closed at Jordon Creek.
• Extreme care required, please watch for washouts.
Update On Wanaka Roads 4.00pm
• Timaru Creek Road, Hawea is flooding.
• First ford on Wanaka Mount Aspiring Road is impassable, flowing very high.
Greenstone road 4.47pm update
• Closing road, first ford flowing very high. Passable by 4wd, but not advisable. All roads head of Lake Wakatipu
Take care if in the Queenstown Lakes area today. Check the QDLC facebook page or website also for any further possible updates:
http://www.facebook.com/QLDCinfo?ref=ts&fref=ts or http://www.qldc.govt.nz/
Also be up to date with the latest weather warnings from Government forecaster Metservice if planning to travel or be on the West Coast of the South Island overnight and through tomorrow morning.
Significant rain is expected to make river levels rise on the east coast of the South Island also so take note and plan accordingly if you will be near any rivers.
Here’s what is making the weather headlines this weekend. FEW SHOWERS IN THE WEST, DRY AND SUNNY IN THE EAST…
A west to southwesterly airflow lies over the country today. A few showers in the west today, mainly for the…